The Compton Coalition for Smoke-free Air
For the many Compton residents who live in multi-unit housing, breathing secondhand smoke drifting from neighboring units, balconies, and outdoor areas is an ongoing and real health problem. The Compton Coalition for Smoke-free Air seeks to create a healthier Compton by protecting people from secondhand smoke exposure through the creation of smoke-free living environments.
LA County 14%
Second-hand smoke kills more than 50,000 nonsmokers each year, about the same number of Americans die from murder, drugs, and AIDS combined.
- California Environmental Protection Agency. Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant. Part B: Health Effects. Sacramento (CA): California Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, 2005.
Secondhand smoke Causes more than 3,000 lung cancer deaths and more than 45,000 heart attack deaths in NON-SMOKING adults each year.
- California Environmental Protection Agency. Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant. Executive Summary. June 2005.
A nonsmoker exposed to SHS at work or home increases their risk of heart disease by 25-30%, and lung cancer by 20-30%.
- The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: 6 Major Conclusions of the Surgeon General Report. A Report of the Surgeon General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2006.
Our Decision Makers:
Eric J. Perrodin, Mayor
Barbara J. Calhoun, Councilwoman District 1
Lillie Dobson, Councilwoman District 2
Yvonne Arceneaux, Councilwoman District 3
Dr. Willie O. Jones, Councilman District 4
If you have any questions or if you would like to get involved in The Compton Coalition for Smoke-free Air please contact Kristin McGuire, Community Organizer at:
Email: [email protected]
Take Action and Attend Our Next Meeting:
Smokefree Day of Action Art Exhibit
General Coalition Meeting Flyer
Youth Coalition Meeting Flyer
1. Smoke-free Housing Fact Sheet
2. Answers to Tough Questions/ FAQ
3. Cities with Smoke-free Housing
Pictures (City and Coalition):
Presentation at Bursche Elementary
Youth Summit 2010
Compton Center Lacks Designated Smoking Areas
Hub City Livin’ Group Page
Are you being affected by SHS? WHAT’S YOUR STORY?
Want to Get Involved?